Memorial Day typically deadly on Colorado’s roads | News
It’s that time of year where families across Colorado pack up the cars and hit the road for their summer vacation. But more cars on the roadways bring an increased risk of a variety of traffic accidents.
For example, your chances of being hit by someone running a red light are higher over Memorial Day weekend than any other time of year.
“Things peak on the highways for aggressive driving…for red light running, for DUIs, for people not wearing seat belts, “says Stacey Stegman with the Colorado Department of Transportation spokeswoman.
In fact, last May was one of the deadliest months for DUI’s in Colorado, and the National Highway Traffic Administration calls this the “most dangerous” weekend of the year.
Anxious to squeeze every second out of their holiday weekend, researchers say many drivers ignore basic safety.
“We see a lot of impatience on the road, and when you get into the summertime it sort of magnifies,” says Stegman.
Upcoming Events near Northglenn Thornton
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Coroner: Man suspected of killing his 1-year-old daughter has died
- Mother of 1-year-old girl describes moments leading up to her murder
- Family: Father takes photo of daughter then kills her, shoots self
- School bus driver accused of DUI will face 36 counts of child abuse
- Rights of residents vs. rights of sex offender an issue in one neighborhood