Colorado’s Missy Franklin wins Gold at the Olympics | News
LONDON — Missy Franklin of Centennial won her first Gold medal of the 2012 Summer Olympics Monday.
The 17-year-old swimmer won the women’s 100-meter backstroke for the United States. She finished the race in 58.22 seconds. She did that just a few minutes after landing the eighth and last qualifying position in the 200-meter freestyle semifinals.
Emily Seebohm of Australia finished in 58.68 to take the silver medal and Aya Terakawa of Japan finished in 58.83 to take bronze.
Franklin won the backstroke just a few minutes after landing the eighth and last qualifying position in the 200-meter freestyle semifinals.
Franklin won her first medal Saturday. She was a member of the U.S. Women’s 4×100 relay team that won the bronze medal.
Franklin attends Regis High School.
Upcoming Events near Northglenn Thornton
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Coroner: Man suspected of killing his 1-year-old daughter has died
- Mother of 1-year-old girl describes moments leading up to her murder
- Family: Father takes photo of daughter then kills her, shoots self
- School bus driver accused of DUI will face 36 counts of child abuse
- Rights of residents vs. rights of sex offender an issue in one neighborhood